Location: Austin Public Library - Spicewood Springs Branch
8637 Spicewood Springs Rd., Austin, TX 78759 (512-974-3800)
Heads up! Freelance Austin meetings do not include lunch -- unless you bring your own!
Sign-in and Networking: 12:15 p.m. (Note new start time)
Announcements & Program: 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.
Topic: How to Get More Freelance Work
Speaker: Monica Maldonado Williams, October Custom Publishing
Magazines need you! But you have to make it a little easier for them.
The good news is there are lots of new ways to get in front of hiring magazine editors and art directors, and most of them have nothing to do with the old-school letter-and-pitch or postcard mailings.
Join us as Monica shares some ideas for getting more work, including:
- Social media - You knew I was going to say that, but it really works. I have suggestions for how to make it work for freelancers.
- Start your own blog - Editors/art directors want to see your work anyway. Don't bother with the clips or the jpg attachments. Send me a link to your blog.
- Untapped publications - Custom publishers always need help - and they pay well. Also consider associations, new Web sites, more.
- Digital magazines - There are new opportunities in digital publishing, and we're all trying to figure out what they are.
- The schedules, the politics, what they look for in a contributor, the constant need for content, and payment.
About Our Speaker: Monica Maldonado Williams has more than 15 years of experience as a magazine contributor and on-staff editor, as well as experience in social media, Web sites, digital magazines, copywriting, and communications management. Along with her full-time job as a marketing and social media copywriter, she's currently a partner with October Custom Publishing, which produces GivingCity Austin and TQ, the quarterly magazine of the Texas Association of Mexican-American Chambers of Commerce.